Tufts University mandates that all students have Health Insurance in order to be eligible for course enrollment, as well as be in compliance with the state of Massachusetts. The Tufts Health Insurance will automatically be charged to all enrolled students along with tuition (these charges to your account will be visible through your eBill). All students must have adequate health insurance, as determined by the Tufts University Health Service Office, in order to enroll at The Fletcher School.
Tufts Health Insurance Plan - HPHC Insurance Company, affiliate of Harvard Pilgrim Health Care, administered by UnitedHealthcare StudentResources
If you have questions about the Tufts Health Insurance Plan, contact the Health Service Office at 617-627-3592. Please
be aware that foreign insurance coverage, as well as some U.S.
insurance plans are often not considered comparable coverage.
If you have comparable health insurance, you may consult with the Tufts Health Service Office (http://ase.tufts.edu/healthservice/business.htm) about the Tufts Health Insurance Plan charge being waived. Students who have comparable U.S. insurance may have this fee waived at the discretion of the Director of the Tufts Health Service Office.
After consulting with the Director of the Tufts Health Service, if you plan not to enroll in the Tufts Health Insurance Plan, you will be able to process a waiver request beginning June 1. The deadline to waive the Tufts Health Insurance Plan is August 2. Shortly, you will be notified by email with the details about how to submit this waiver request.
- Student Insurance Coverage
- The 2013-2014 Tufts Health Insurance Plan cost for a student is $2,037 annually.
- If you are starting in January 2014, the plan cost is $1,260.
- The plan maximum is $500,000.
- Insurance coverage is from August 31, 2013 to August 30,
2014 for students who begin in the Fall 2013 semester at Fletcher, and
from January 15, 2014 to August 30, 2014 for students who begin in
Spring 2014 semester in January 2014.
- Insurance Coverage for Dependents
- Arrangements can be made with the Tufts Health Insurance
company to insure a spouse and/or children. The 2013-2014 rates are
$6,000 for spouse and $2,705 for a child/children.
- For students starting at Fletcher in January 2014 who would
like coverage for a spouse and/or child/children, please contact the
Health Service Office for pricing information at 617-627-3592.
- IMPORTANT TO NOTE: All students who are on a J-1 Visa that is sponsored by either Tufts University or The Fletcher School must purchase the Tufts Health Insurance Plan offered by Tufts University for themselves and dependents.
ACTION NEEDED: Tufts Health Service Office Required Student Medical History via their new Online Portal - Deadline July 15
- Complete by July 15 the Tufts Health Service Office Required Student Medical History via their new Online Portal―access to this new feature for the Tufts Health Service Office will be available to you mid-June (we will email you notification of its availability). The Tufts University Health Service Office REQUIRES all graduate students to complete by July 15 the Required Student Medical History (via their new online portal). Your partnership in completing the Required Student Medical History (via the new online portal when it is accessible to you) ensures that you are in compliance with Tufts University's requirements, as well as the state of Massachusetts. Additionally, completing this requirement with the Health Service Office prevents a Health Hold from being placed on your account which will prevent course registration for the fall term.
Note: DO NOT submit medical-related information to the Registrar's Office. If you need to mail any medical-related information, please be sure to mail the material directly to the Tufts Health Service Office at the following mailing address:
Tufts University Health Service Office
124 Professors Row
Medford, Massachusetts 02155 USA
- Mandatory Comprehensive Health Service Fee
- In addition to health insurance, all students must pay a student comprehensive Tufts Health Service Fee. The Tufts Health Service Fee is not insurance coverage, but it allows a student to use the
Tufts University Health Service Office's services for routine
illnesses. The Tufts Health Service Fee may not be waived.
- For incoming Fall 2013 students, the mandatory Tufts Health Service Fee is $710.
- For students beginning in January 2014, the mandatory Health Service Fee is $355.
- Access to the Tufts University Health Service Office is not available to a spouse or children. The Tufts University comprehensive health service fee covers students for unlimited primary care and walk-in visits, allergy injections, an annual flu shot, the Counseling Center, and the first three psychiatric visits. There are sometimes other additional charges for which students are responsible (e.g., lab tests). These charges appear on the student's Bursar bill. In all cases, the Health Service Office can provide you with an itemized bill and help in obtaining reimbursement from your insurance company.