Bhattarai, 2012, Nepal
Addgene, International Business Developer and Financial Analyst - Cambridge, MA
Responsible for new strategic business initiatives, including international expansion in both emerging and developed markets. Addgene helps scientists share information about plasmids - DNA molecules - for use in research and discovery.
Fletcher Thesis: South Africa’s Development Challenge – An Underdeveloped Entrepreneurial Ecosystem
On the value of the Fletcher alumni network: The founder of my firm, Addgene, is a Fletcher Alum, so needless to say the alumni network was critical in my career pursuit. The work that I do is aligned with what I explored at Fletcher: we take a multidisciplinary approach that necessitates contextual understanding. Knowledge of emerging markets, financial management, and international political economy has helped me to understand the bigger picture while also delving into the details of business solutions.
How Fletcher broadened my global perspective: Almost every day, there were lectures and conferences hosted by different clubs and centers encompassing virtually every field within the realm of International Affairs. These programs engage students, faculty members, and practitioners, extending a wealth of knowledge and challenging the way one might look at things. I had numerous moments when I would be challenged on my own preconceived notions and mesmerized by contradicting opinions. For instance, simply having a casual lunch with a classmate, I was able to go beyond what I thought was right or what is portrayed in the media, to understand the underlying causes of a particular global issue. These moments are commonplace here at Fletcher.
Economist, Nepali Times
The Godfather trilogy, The Motorcycle Diaries
Most pressing world issue:
Fields of Study
- International Political Economy
- Strategic Management and International Consultancy
Activities involved in at Fletcher
- Worked with Center for Emerging Market Enterprise (CEME) during my thesis research.
- Founded a social online platform - Fletcher Global Entrepreneurs - to share ideas, accomplishments, challenges, best practices - anything and everything related to becoming a global entrepreneur.
- Empower Fellow at the Institute for Global Leadership
- International Business Club
- Consulting Club
- South Asian Society.
Education before Fletcher
- B.A., Economics, Moravian College
Experience before Fletcher
- Associate Consultant, Deloitte Consulting; Harrisburg, PA