- MS, Cornell University
- PhD, Development Studies and Economic Sociology, University of Wisconsin, Madison
- BS, Wilmington College
- Research Director, Food Security and Livelihoods in Complex Emergencies, Feinstein International Center, Tufts University
- Prior to academia, over twenty years of leadership in NGO program development and management
- Positions include: Deputy Regional Director (2003-2006) and Regional Program Coordinator (2002-2003) CARE-International, East and Central Africa Regional Management Unit
- Regional Food Security Advisor, CARE-International, East Africa Regional Management Unit (1998-2002)
- Rockefeller Fellow, International Food Policy Research Institute and Noguchi Memorial Institute for Medical Research (1995-1998)
- livelihoods and food security
- food aid
- humanitarian operations and policy
• "Market Information and Food Insecurity Response Analysis.” Food Security. Vol. 1(2) pp.151–168.
• "Measuring Food Insecurity: Can an Indicator Based on Localized Coping Behaviors be Used to Compare Across Contexts?” Food Policy Vol. 33(6), pp.533-540.
• "Global factors shaping the future of food aid: Implications for the World Food Programme.” Disasters, Special Supplement on the Sudan Food Aid Forum (forthcoming).
• "Towards A Global Food Aid Compact,” (co-author) Food Policy (2006).
• Maxwell, Daniel G. "Why Do Famines Persist?: A Brief Review of Ethiopia 1999-2000." IDS Bulletin 33, no. 4 (2002): 48-54.
• Maxwell, Daniel G and Ben Watkins. "Humanitarian Information Systems and Emergencies in the Greater Horn of Africa: Logical Components and Logical Linkages." Disasters 27, no. 1 (2003): 72-90.
• Maxwell, Daniel G and Catherine Longley. "Livelihoods, Chronic Conflict and Humanitarian Response: A Review of Current Approaches." Natural Resource Perspectives 89, (2003).
• Maxwell, Daniel G and Laura Hammond. "The Ethiopian Crisis of 1999-2000: Lessons Learned, Questions Unanswered." Disasters 26, no. 3 (2002): 262-279.BOOKS
• Shaping the Humanitarian World. Series on Global Institutions. London: Routledge. (with Peter Walker).
• Maxwell, Daniel G and Christopher Barrett. Food Aid After Fifty Years: Recasting Its Role. Routledge, 2005.BOOK CHAPTERS
• Maxwell, Daniel G. "The Importance of Urban Agriculture to Food and Nutrition." In Annotated Bibliography on Urban Agriculture, eds. Wietse Bruinsma and Wilfrid Hertog, ETC Urban Agriculture Programme, 2001.CoursesFALL TERM