- BA, Denison University
- MALD, International Relations, The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy
- PhD, International Relations, The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy
- Research Associate, Oxford Poverty and Human Development Initiative, Queen Elizabeth House, Oxford University (2007)
- Former Executive Director, Oxfam America (1984-95)
- former Executive Director, ACCION International (1973-80)
- Founder and former Director, Feinstein International Center, Tufts University
- Consultant, Women's World Banking and USAID
- Institute for Human Security
- Ethics and Human Development
- Humanitarian Aid
- Latin American Development
- Central American Immigration
• Hammock, John, Alissa Wilson and Ann Barham. Practical Idealists: Changing the World and Getting Paid. Global Equity Initiative, Harvard University, 2008.
• Hammock, John. An Open Approach To Living With Cancer. 2004.
• Hammock J, et al. Pobreza y trabajo: testimonios de migrantes salvadoreñas , (Forthcoming).BOOK CHAPTERS
• Hammock, John. "Debt relief: giving poor countries a second chance." In Beyond Colonial Anglicanism, eds. Ian T. Douglas and Kwok Pui-Lan, Church Publishing Inc., 2001.
• Hammock, John. "Introduction to Famine." In Famine, Conflict and Response: A Basic Guide, eds. Frederick C. Cuny and Richard B. Hill, Kumarian Press, 1999.
• Lautze, Sue and Hammock, John, "Coping with Crisis, Coping with Aid: Capacity Building, Coping Mechanisms and Dependency," Department of Humanitarian Affairs, United Nations, 1997.
• Hammock, John. "Emergency Response as Morality Play: The Media, the Relief Agencies, and the Need for Capacity Building." In From Massacres to Genocide: The Media, Public Policy, and Humanitarian Crises, eds. Robert I. Rotberg and Thomas G. Weiss, The Brookings Institution and The World Peace Foundation, 1996.CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS
• Youth and Adolescents in Complex Emergency: A UNHCR Workshop Proceedings, The Famine Center (1998).CoursesNOT CURRENTLY OFFERED