- MA, Women's Studies, Clark University
- PhD, Women's Studies, Clark University
- BFA, University of Wyoming
- MA, University of Wyoming
Dyan Mazurana, Ph.D., is a Research Director at the Feinstein International Center and an Associate Research Professor at the Fletcher School. Her areas of focus include women's and children’s rights during armed conflict and post conflict, serious crimes and violations committed during armed conflict and their effects on victims and civilian populations, armed opposition groups, and remedy and reparation. She works with a number of governments, UN agencies and NGOs on these areas. Mazurana has published over 70 scholarly and policy books and articles. Her latest book is A View from Below: Conducting Research in Conflict Zones, edited with Karen Jacobsen, and Lacey Gale (Cambridge University Press, 2013). Other recent books include Life and Security in Rural Afghanistan (Rowman & Littlefield, 2008) with Nematollah Nojumi and Elizabeth Stites; Gender, Conflict, and Peacekeeping (Rowman & Littlefield, 2005) with Angela Raven-Roberts and Jane Parpart. Mazurana has carried out research in Afghanistan, the Balkans, several countries in sub-Saharan Africa, and Nepal.
- Office of the Secretary-General of the United Nations (2001, 2002, 2006), United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights (2010, 2011, 2012), United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (2010, 2011), Unicef (2006, 2007, 2008), and United Nations Development Programme (2005, 2006), World Bank (2006, 2009)
- Research Director (2005-present), Director of Youth and Community Program (2004-2005), and Senior Research Fellow (2003-2004), Feinstein International Center, Tufts University
- Cathy Cohen Lasry Visiting Professor of Comparative Genocide Studies. Strassler Center for Holocaust and Genocide Studies, Clark University, Worcester Massachusetts (2012-present)
- Uganda Human Rights Commission (2012, 2011, 2010), International Center for Transitional Justice (2008, 2007)
- Visiting Scholar (2003-2004) and Peace and International Security Fellow (2001-2002), Women and Public Policy Program, JF Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University
- Consultant for The Berghof Research Center for Constructive Conflict Management, Berlin (2006); North-South Institute, Ottawa (2005-06); ICRC (2005); World Bank (2005), Government of Denmark (2005), and Canadian International Development Agency (2004-06)
- Civilian populations' experiences of armed conflict
- Women's human rights
- War-affected children
- Armed conflict
- Human security
- Transitional justice (remedy and reparation)
• United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights and the Uganda Human Rights Commission. 2012. “The Dust Has Not Yet Settled”: Victims’ Views on The Right to Remedy and Reparation A Report from the Greater North of Uganda.
• Mazurana, Dyan, Sue Lautze, Jennifer Leaning, Angela Raven-Roberts and Randolph Kent. "Assistance, Protection, and Governance Networks in Complex Emergencies." Lancet 364, no. 9451 (2004).
• "Humanitarian Governance: Coordination and Policy Issues in Complex Political Emergencies,” (co-author) Lancet (2004).
• "Do Women Matter in Peacekeeping? Women in Police, Military, and Civilian Peacekeeping Components." Canadian Woman Studies Journal. (March 2003)
• "Girls in Fighting Forces and Groups: Their Recruitment, Participation, Demobilization, and Reintegration." (co-author) Peace & Conflict 8, 2, 2002
• "Child Soldiers: What About the Girls?" (co-author) The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientist, September/October. 2001
• "A Hostile Reception: Women's Realities of Civil Political Discourses in Democracies." (co-author) Peace & Conflict, 6, 4, 325-332. (2000)
• Annan, Jeannie, Christopher Blattman, Dyan Mazurana and Khristopher Carlson, “Civil War, Reintegration and Gender in Northern Uganda,” Journal of Conflict Resolution Volume 55 Issue 6 December 2011 pp. 875 - 906.
• Benelli, Prisca, Dyan Mazurana and Peter Walker, 2012, “Using Sex and Age Disaggregated Data to Improve Humanitarian Response in Emergencies,” Gender & Development Vol. 20, No. 2, July 2012 pp. 219-232.
• Carlson, Khristopher and Dyan Mazurana, “Beating Wives and Protecting Culture: Violent Responses to Women’s Awakening of their Rights,” Humanitarian Practice Network, November/December, 2006.
• Mazurana, Dyan, Prisca Benelli and Peter Walker, 2013, “How Sex- and Age-Disaggregated Data and Gender and Generational Analyses Can Improve Humanitarian Response,” Disasters: The Journal of Disaster Studies, Policy and Management. Volume 37, Issue s1, July 2013, Pages: S68–S82
• Mazurana, Dyan and Khristopher Carlson. 2006. The Girl Child and Armed Conflict: Recognizing and Addressing Grave Rights Violations of Girls’ Human Rights. United Nations document EMG/DVGC/2006/EP.12.
• Mazurana, Dyan. 2004. Women in Armed Opposition Groups Speak on War, Protection, and Obligations under International Humanitarian and Human Rights Law. Geneva Call and the Program for the Study of International Organization, University of Geneva: Geneva.
• Mazurana, Dyan. 2006. Women in Armed Opposition Groups in Africa and the Promotion of International Humanitarian and Human Rights Law. Geneva Call and the Program for the Study of International Organization(s), University of Geneva: Geneva.
• Multi-Country Demobilization and Reintegration Program (MDRP) of the World Bank and UNIFEM, 2006. Taking a Gender-Perspective to Strengthen the Multi-Country Demobilization and Reintegration Program (MDRP) in the greater Great Lakes Region. BOOKS
• Mazurana, Dyan, Nojumi, Neamattolah and Stites, Elizabeth . After the Taliban: Life and Security in Rural Afghanistan. Oxford & Boulder: Rowman & Littlefield, 2008.
• Mazurana, Dyan (contributing author). Report of the Secretary-General on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination and Violence against the Girl Child. United Nations, 2007.
• Mazurana, Dyan, Angela Raven-Roberts and Jane Parpart (eds.) Gender, Conflict, and Peacekeeping. Oxford & Boulder: Rowman & Littlefield, 2005.
• Mazurana, Dyan and Susan McKay. Where are the Girls?: Girls in Fighting Forces in Northern Uganda, Sierre Leone and Mozambique: Their Lives During and After War. Rights & Democracy, 2004.
• Mazurana, Dyan (contributing author). Report of the Secretary-General on Women, Peace and Security to the United Nations Security Council. New York: United Nations UN document S/2002/1154, 2002.
• Mazurana, Dyan. Women, Peace and Security: Study of the United Nations Secretary-General as Pursuant Security Council Resolution 1325. New York: United Nations, 2002.
• Callamard, Agnes, ed. Documenting Women's Rights Violations in Armed Conflict Situations. London and Montreal: Amnesty International, United Kingdom and International Centre for Human Rights and Democratic Development, 2001.
• Women and Peacebuilding (co-author). (1999)BOOK CHAPTERS
• Mazurana, Dyan and Khristopher Carlson. "War Slavery: The Role of Children and Youth in Fighting Forces in Sustaining Armed Conflicts and War Economies in Africa." In Gender, Violent Conflict, and Development, Duke University Press, 2006.
• Mazurana, Dyan. "Combatants & Captives: Girls and Young Women in Sierra LeoneÆs Fighting Forces." In Femmes et Conflits ArmTs. RTalitTs, Letons et Avancement des Politiques, Laval University Press: Quebec, 2005.
• Mazurana, Dyan, Angela Raven-Roberts and Jane Parpart. "Gender and the Causes and Consequences of Armed Conflict." In Gender, Conflict, and Peacekeeping, Oxford & Boulder: Rowman & Littlefield, 2005.
• Mazurana, Dyan, Angela Raven-Roberts, Jane Parpart and Sue Lautze. "Introduction: Gender, Conflict, and Peacekeeping." In Gender, Conflict, and Peacekeeping, Oxford & Boulder: Rowman & Littlefield, 2005.
• Mazurana, Dyan, Barbara Burton, Nouray Ibryamova, Ranjana Khanna and Lily Mendoza. "Cartographies of Scholarship: The Ends of Nation-states, Cold Wars and International Study." In Encompassing Gender: Integrating International Studies and Women, New York: The Feminist Press, 2002.
• Mazurana, Dyan, Angela Raven-Roberts and Anika Hilding-Norberg. "Gender Perspectives in Effective Peace Operations." In Challenges of Peacekeeping & Peace Support: Into the 21st Century, Oxford University Press, 2002.
• Mazurana, Dyan, Angela Raven-Roberts and Annika Hilding-Norberg. "Integrating the Human Rights Perspective." In Challenges of Peacekeeping & Peace Support: Into the 21st Century, Oxford University Press, 2002.
• Mazurana, Dyan, Cynthia Cockburn and Dubravka Zarkov. "International Peacekeeping Operations: To Neglect Gender is to Risk Peacekeeping Failure." In The Post-war Moment: Militaries, Masculinities and International Peacekeeping - Bosnia and the Netherlands, London: Lawrence and Wishart, 2002.
• Mazurana, Dyan and Susan McKay. "Women as Peacebuilders: Gendering Peacebuilding." In Peace, Conflict & Violence, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey: Prentice-Hall, 2001.
• Mazurana, Dyan and Susan McKay. "Women, Girls, and Structural Violence: A Global Analysis." In Peace, Conflict & Violence, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey: Prentice-Hall, 2001.CoursesFALL TERMLinksDownload Dyan Mazurana's faculty profile (pdf)